Facts at a Glance
- Founded in 1863, HSS is America's oldest orthopedic hospital and a tertiary care academic medical center.
- The Hospital is nationally ranked #1 in Orthopedics and #3 in Rheumatology in U.S.News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals" 2014-15 issue. It has been among the top ranked institutions in Orthopedics and Rheumatology for 24 consecutive years.
- HSS is the first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center three consecutive times.
- In 2013, HSS was designated as the first National Medical Center of the United States Olympic Committee’s National Medical Network. In this capacity HSS is an official hospital for U.S. athletes
- HSS physicians are official team doctors for the New York Giants, New York Mets, New York Knicks, New York Liberty, and New York Red Bulls. HSS is also a designated FIFA Medical Center of Excellence, one of only three in the United States.
- HSS has achieved the 99th percentile rank for "likelihood to recommend" for 23 consecutive quarters when benchmarked against the high-performing Magnet peer group.
- According to the New York Department of Health, HSS is the only hospital in the state of New York that has a statistically significant lower surgical site infection rate for hip replacement for the last four years.
- The HSS International Center served well over 800 patients from nearly 81 countries in 2013.
^ Back to Top